Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Henna: Remedy for receding hairlines? My husband wants to find out.

My husband, Jeff, is impressed with how the henna dye has been nourishing and thickening my hair. I've been using it for a few months, and my hair is definitely the thickest it's been since I was a kid. Henna, of course, also nourishes hair, plating it with healthy natural color, as opposed to box/salon (chemical) dye, which strips and then re-tints the hair shaft.

Jeff, in his late 20s, is already experiencing a receding hairline, much to his dismay. His hair has also gotten thinner than it used to be just five years ago. He observed my freshly henna-dyed hair yesterday, and decided it might be the solution for him, as well. He asked me to try the henna on his hair, with a special focus on his hairline.

We drove to our local health food store and picked up a jar of Persian Blonde -- that's the lightest shade that Rainbow Henna makes. When we got home, I mixed up the henna. I didn't have to make much, because he keeps his hair cut short.

First things first -- we took a “Before” photo. Then, we applied the henna mixture. He liked the process for the same reasons I do – it doesn’t smell like a chemical, it’s kind of fun to apply and it’s not as likely to stain the skin. That was especially important, since I planned to apply it to the top of his forehead, where he wants to restore his hair. I think he found the process fascinating and somewhat amusing -- particularly the green “henna helmet.” We sealed his hair in a plastic wrap and a towel to keep the henna warm, and then set the timer.

Seventy-five minutes later, we rinsed out the henna. He noticed right away that his hair felt thicker. That brought a big smile to his face. In addition, the henna brought out the blonde in his hair and made it really shiny. I think we’ll have to wait a few months to see if the henna has any impact on his hairline. It will probably take a few treatments and a few months’ time. He’s optimistic, though. If it does work, I'm going to send the pictures to Rainbow. And they can thank Jeff and me when men all over America start using Rainbow Henna to re-grow their hair. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I just came upon your post here after googling various traits about my own hair, like I usually do from time to time. When I looked at your photo's of Jeff I noticed immediately that he has VERY VERY VERY similar hair to my own. From the texture to the hairline to the color to the thinness. I'm 30 years old and got the same thinness at approx. the same time as your husband. I know this is from 2010, so the chances that you'll respond are very slim, but I would really really appreciate an update to see if this product worked at all. Any respond would be great. Hope it helped keep his hair thicker.

    ReplyDelete