Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

A nice, glossy coating of... protein?

Hair and nails grow in much the same way, so I am considering yet another hair growth experiment... OK, here goes: I am using the Sally Hansen "Maximum Growth" treatment on my fingernails several times a week. I've been using it for a couple of months. It's amazing stuff -- my fingernails haven't broken in several weeks, and they are all consistently long and healthy. I looked at the fine print and it says the treatment contains silk protein. You apply it just like a clear coating of nail polish, and it gives the nails a nice little sheen while also packing them full of protein goodness.

I wonder if the same protein principle would work on hair? What would the equivalent be? Raw egg? Mayonnaise? Soy? Ground beef? Peanut butter? Beans? But wait just a minute. It did say SILK protein, right? Maybe I could wrap my hair in silk. Wonder if that would work... (Sorry, this is the kind of nuttiness I come up with at 11:53 pm). Nah, I'll stick with the proteins. I have actually heard that raw egg and mayo can be used as hair treatments. I've seen them listed with home remedies. But here's the hitch: The nail treatment stays on; it doesn't get rinsed off. I would eventually have to rinse the egg/mayo... I guess I could try leaving it on for an hour or two and then rinse it. Hopefully a beneficial amount of protein would be absorbed in that time.

Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment