Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Rumor has it that hair grows faster during the warmer months. (I started this process in December... Go figure.) Maybe it's because people are more active in the summer and therefore have better circulation? Circulation is said to be a factor in hair health, and it makes sense. That's why scalp massagers are so popular -- anything that invigorates and draws blood to the scalp should improve growth. (I hope.)

As I type this, it's 40 degrees outside, and we keep edging closer to January. So, I have added my scalp massager to my ever-growing list of "remedies." It's copper and looks like a giant spider. It makes my scalp feel great, so I hope it will help increase circulation during these frigid months.

I've also thought about wrapping a hot towel around my head a few days a week -- and I might even infuse it with some rosemary. Couldn't hurt. Heck, maybe I'll even convince my husband to install a heat lamp, and I'll just sit under that for the duration of the winter. If you've ever had a hot stone massage, it's probably the same principle -- the massage therapist uses the hot stones to increase blood flow to specific problem areas in the muscles.

Good ol' exercise works, too. I try to take my dog for a long walk three or four times a week. Of course, she's an American Eskimo puppy, so our "walks" are more like mad sprints around the neighborhood. On the flip side, I'm also doing Tai Chi a couple of times a week. It helps reduce stress, and stress is actually said to be a cause of slow hair growth -- or even hair loss.

So, here's to a warm, stress-free New Year and long hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment