Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eat Your Veggies... And Wear Them, Too

We all know we're supposed to eat lots of fruits and vegetables for good health... But did you know that many ancient cultures applied these foods to their scalps to promote hair health and growth? Remedies include chopped lettuce, the juice of citrus fruits, coconut oil, banana.

And let's not forget the salad dressing! Olive oil and apple cider vinegar are said to be helpful in promoting hair growth. According to what I've read (several different places), olive oil can be applied directly to the scalp, then you wrap your head in a showercap or towel and just wash the oil out in the morning. The vinegar, which cleanses the scalp, should be combined with water and used as a rinse.

So... Yes, I'm going to try these. We'll see how easy it is (or isn't) to keep chopped lettuce on my scalp. Maybe I should just stick the lettuce, citrus juice, coconut oil and banana in a blender? Hey, at least it will smell good. The olive oil will be interesting. Perhaps I'll mix it with my Weleda rosemary hair oil. Apple cider vinegar... Hmm. I'll try that one on a weekend, just in case my hair winds up smelling like apple cider vinegar all day.

Of course, fruits and vegetables contain lots of vitamins, but I figure I might get an extra boost from a hair vitamin. I picked up a hair/skin/nails vitamin from Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and I'm taking it daily. I remember a friend in college tried to grow her hair one time, and she said she experienced quick growth once she added a multivitamin to her diet, so I'm optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment