Search This Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Jello and the Mint Family


I'm not the world's biggest fan of Jello. I like it once in a while, but it's just sort of weird and jiggly -- not something I would normally choose to consume half a dozen times a week. However, my husband recently told me he noticed one time when he was eating a lot of Jello that his fingernails grew more quickly than usual. So, since hair and nails are both made of keratin, it stands to reason that if Jello (gelatin) makes nails grow, it should make hair grow. I do have to say that I've been doing this for about three weeks now, and I've noticed my fingernails are growing pretty quickly.

I've also read that rosemary -- in both edible and topical forms -- often promotes hair growth. I already use a lot of rosemary in cooking, so I'm taking rosemary herbal supplements: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NW-2417.

I'm also applying Weleda rosemary hair oil to my scalp a few times a week: http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/rosemary-hair-oil.aspx.

On a recent trip to Whole Foods Market, I discovered the store's brand of peppermint herbal shampoo and conditioner. Peppermint is supposed to invigorate the scalp, and even better -- the products do not contain any sodium laureth/laurel sulfate! I've been using it for a couple of weeks and my hair does feel generally healthier.

As far as growth goes... My family has been commenting this week that my hair has grown almost an inch since Thanksgiving! My plan is to post update photos about every three months. The attached photo was taken in mid-October (and I've had one minor trim since then), so in a few weeks I'll post an updated shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment