Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Coconut oil -- great for cooking, not great for oily hair

Coconut oil is a wonderful product -- I recently discovered it, and have heard that it has wonderful health benefits. I have started using it for cooking. I also read that it can be used as a scalp treatment for healthier hair... So I decided one day last week to give it whirl.

I scooped up what I thought would be a good amount -- about a teaspoon -- and let it melt, then massaged it into my scalp. I sat for an hour, as instructed. I shampooed it out... And then shampooed again. My hair was very oily for two days! I probably should not have tried this treatment, as I have somewhat oily hair to begin with. As I applied the oil, in the back of my mind I remembered a time in school when a classmate attended a youth group event one weekend -- a "yuck night" event. Someone poured baby oil in her hair, and I remember hearing the complaints about how she couldn't get all the oil out for days.

To make a long story short -- it took two days to get all the coconut oil out, and another day after that before I could style my hair. (Not that it has much of a style anymore, though... My cut is growing out, and it has lost all of its shape. I refuse to cut it, though, because the length is what I need, and I can finally pull it into a ponytail!!)

If you're going to use oil on your hair, my advice is to use a CONSERVATIVE amount. For example, I use the Weleda rosemary oil, but I only use three drops at a time for my entire head, and it works well. Weleda truly makes a great product. So... I think I will stick to the rosemary oil for my hair, and save the coconut oil for the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment