Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

I have discovered Rainbow Henna hair color, and I love it.

I have been a hair dye fanatic for 12 years. Unfortunately, once you start coloring your hair, it's pretty hard to stop unless you miraculously find a box or salon dye that matches your natural shade. I have never been able to match mine, so every couple of months -- for 12 years -- I've had to touch up my roots, try a different shade or cut my hair short to let the damaged dyed hair grow out.

I was at that point again this week. Actually, with my goal of growing my hair out as quickly as possible, the roots are a good sign, because they sure keep reappearing quickly! I just touched up my roots three weeks ago and this week noticed half an inch of roots.

I decided to switch to henna hair color, which supposedly helps hair grow more quickly. It is definitely healthier for the hair -- all organic, no chemicals, doesn't strip the hair shaft. This is not the first time I've been drawn to henna; I considered buying it about six months ago, at my favorite local co-op. However, the salesperson was apparently listening more to her conscience than to the cha-ching of the cash register that day, because she talked me out of the henna, saying it was too messy and difficult to apply. I appreciate a salesperson who tries to be honest with me... BUT...

... I have been reading "The Maker's Diet," by Jordan Rubin, to learn about healthier foods, lifestyle and personal care. I HIGHLY recommend the book to anyone and everyone seeking better health. One section discusses herbs that are especially helpful, and guess what's on that list... That's right, it's henna! The book explains that henna is antibacterial/antifungal; therefore, it's very healthy for the scalp. I have heard that antifungal treatments can encourage hair growth, so it sounds good.

I discovered a lovely little health-foods store just miles from my home, and moseyed over to the store to buy some Rainbow Henna yesterday. I applied it this morning. I LOVE IT. First of all, I know it's much healthier for my hair and just might encourage some growth. That's fantastic. Second, it doesn't smell like a chemical plant; it smells earthy and looks like mud. It was EASY to mix up -- the container recommended using 4 oz (the whole container), but my hair is still short so I just used 2 oz. It was more than enough for short hair. Just boil some water (or coffee, for an extra boost of brunette) and stir, stir, stir. I grabbed an old paint brush and applied it to my hair. It was as easy as applying dye from a box, and although it dripped a little onto my forehead, it did not stain my skin. Then I just bundled it up in some plastic wrap and sat for an hour. It was easy to rinse out (warm rinse, cool rinse, shampoo and you're done).

I am extremely pleased with the results. My hair does not look fake; it looks natural and healthy. I chose the Light Brown shade, very close to what I already had, so there wasn't a major color difference, but my hair glows now. There's a radiant, warm golden brown sheen to it. It's very shiny and feels quite a bit thicker (henna coats the hair, as opposed to chemical dye, which strips and then re-tints the hair). I am completely satisfied. I will never use chemical dye again. Also interesting: According to the directions, the more times you use the henna dye (it can be applied every four to six weeks), the healthier your hair will be. It it not just hair color; it's basically a scalp treatment with the added benefit of beautiful natural-looking color. It coats the hair and adds texture and thickness.

1 comment:

  1. nice! is there a blonde shade? Is it possible to go lighter?

    ReplyDelete